BGC Reports: It looks like Verizon and Motorola took exception with yesterday’s mini-rant because our inboxes are being absolutely hammered by tips that the Android 2.1 update for the DROID is now being pushed out. If you’ve yet to receive a notification of the update you don’t need to worry because this is a gradual rollout and should hit up most people by the week’s end. Here’s what you get with the update (which, to be specific is AP: ESE81/BP: C_01.3E.03P):
* Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and Google Maps.
* New Weather and News application plus widget.
o The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from the Web and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines.
* New support for voice-to-text entry.
o Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.
* New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
* Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the home screen. Access them with a long press anywhere on the home screen. Tap Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers.
* Free Yahoo! Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password.
* Google Maps update.
o Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with desktop maps.google.com.
+ Starred items are stored and synced automatically between Google Maps on your device and maps.google.com on your computer, making it easy to search for places you’ve searched for before.
o New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes the screen at night for easier viewing.
* Improved pattern-lock functionality.
* Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.