With summer fading and fall and winter here and quick on our heels, most of us will be donning our winter hats, skully’s, tobogans, and all in between. All things considered, that still doesn’t mean that your hair has to suffer. Your hair can still have that exuberant shine just as it would during the summer months. We all love our hair playfully blowing in the wind and it’s a common complaint that most women have – My hair is lifeless. Like anything that must take shape, our hair also needs a little tender loveing care to prevent the usual split ends, frizzing, breakage, and unruly strands. Forego the ponytails that break-off your hair and spend a little time pampering it and fortifying it with great products and NO HEAT! You don’t have to have a salon professional doing your hair in order for you to achieve a spectacular do. Everybody wants their hair to flow and have a little ‘pep in its step’ with little to no effort from us swangin our heads. It’s a fact that most women women say that when they’re hair looks good, they feel good. Try these five little steps and I guarantee that you will feel beautiful inside and out.
1. CLARIFYOnce a month, shampoo with a clarifying shampoo, followed by detangling shampoo and/or deep conditioner. Clarifying once a month will help you get rid of any build up that can make your hair look dull and lifeless.
2. LESS PRODUCTWhen the hair is weighed down with moisturizer or oil, it will lose its ability to move and bounce. Trade in your moisturizer for a super light liquid leave-in like Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner or Kenra Daily Provision. Mist or scrunch into hair daily to keep it light, fresh and bouncy.If you are attached to your moisturizer or oil, use a pea size amount every other day.
3. SWING-ABLE HAIRThere are certain products that just seem to make your hair “swing” better than others. I personally recommend the Neutrogena Triple Moisture and Paul Mitchell Skinny line. They always leave me with light, bouncy hair.
4. SOFT HAIRHair that feels hard or stiff to the touch won’t swing. Soften hair weekly by adding a tablespoon of Sweet Almond Oil to your shampoo or deep conditioner.
5. SETTINGFor long lasting bounce, nothing beats setting the hair on rollers or flexi rods. If you already set your hair, move down a size in rollers for bouncier curls. Use a light liquid setting lotion and pin curl the hair at night.Sidenote – I find that mesh rollers tend to keep the hair bouncier for a longer period of time than magnetic rollers. They also are easier to use and take less time to dry, especially for naturals.I hope this helps!
For more tips and techniques, you can find me at www.healthytextures.com.