The Microsoft Surface Pro, also called Surface Pro 2017, is the fifth-generation laptop computer of Microsoft’s Surface Pro line. Unlike its previous iterations, the company’s decision to hold back from naming it Surface Pro 5 is a breath of fresh air. It only went through a conservative upgrade from the Surface Pro 4, but it is still considered as the best hybrid laptop/tablet computer today.
- Dimensions: 11.5” x 7.9” x 0.33” (292 mm x 201 mm x 8.5 mm)
- Weight: 1.69 lbs to 1.73 lbs (768 g to 784 g)
- 3” PixelSense™ screen at 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI) with a 3:2 aspect ratio
- 10-point multi-touch
- Comes with 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB RAM memory
- Comes with 128GB, 256GB or 512GB SSD storage
- Comes with Intel® Core™ 7th-gen m3, i5, or i7 processor
- Comes with Intel® HD Graphics 615 (m3), Intel® HD Graphics 620 (i5), or Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640 (i7)
- Windows 10 Pro operating system
- 0MP front-facing camera with 1080p Skype HD video and Windows Hello authentication
- 0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p Full HD video
- Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
- 5mm headphone jack
- Mini display port
- Cover port
- One USB 3.0
- MicroSDXC card reader
- Ambient light sensor
- Dual microphones
- 6W Stereo speakers with Dolby® Audio™ Premium
- IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac compatible
- TPM chip security
- Enterprise-grade security with Windows Hello sign-in
- 5 hours of battery life
What’s Inside the Box
What comes in the box is the Microsoft Surface Pro laptop computer, power adapter, cord, “Getting Started with Surface Pro” booklet, “Cleaning & Usage instructions” booklet, and warranty papers.
The Windows 10 OS is pre-installed while the laptop itself comes with a kickstand.
The Surface Pro Pen is no longer included in the package, but it can be purchased separately. A detachable keyboard is also not included.
Product Features and Technical Details
The Microsoft Surface Pro was released in June 2017. It succeeded the Surface Pro 4 which was launched in 2015. The upgrade is not that extensive, but it solved all the issues encountered by users in the Surface Pro 4.
The biggest improvement is the battery life. It now boasts a 13.5-hour span, with 32 percent increase from its predecessor. The design was slightly redefined, but the weight and dimensions are virtually the same.
Although the Microsoft Surface Pro is now sold without the Surface Pen, it offers a great deal of enhancement in its Surface Pen Type Cover. The Surface Pro hinge is also sturdier than ever, which makes it perhaps the strongest hybrid laptop/tablet computer to date.
- Greatly increased speed and battery life
- Improved Surface Pen Type Cover
- Fanless models
- Improved kickstand
- Surface Pen stylus no longer included
- USB-C and Thunderbolt options not included
- More expensive
- Lap use still not recommended
While Microsoft’s leading laptop only got some upgrade, the improved speed and longer battery life make up for it. However, it costs more than the Surface Pro 4, especially when you factor in the fact that you have to buy the Surface Pen separately.
Ultimately, the Microsoft Surface Pro remains to be the benchmark for laptop/tablet hybrids at the moment.